Gurdwara Chheharta Sahib | Gurudwara in Amritsar
Gurudwara Chheharta Sahib, 7 km west of Amritsar (31° 38’N, 74° 52’E), is named after a well that Guru Arjan (1563-1606) had sunk. The well was so wide, and the water supply so abundant, that six Persian wheels installed around the interior of its circufrence could operate simultaneously. Hence its name Chheharta, lit. having six (chhe) Persian wheels (hart or harta).
The well has now been covered, but its water is still pumped to feed the main tank of the Gurdwara. Now developed as an industrial township, Chheharta falls within the revenue limits of Vadali Guru, a village one km to the south, where Guru Arjan stayed during 1594-97.